How to become a Qualified Chinese Teacher in the UK

What does qualified mean?

Qualified teacher status (QTS) is the accreditation that enables you to teach in state-maintained and special schools in England and Wales.

You will need to complete a period of initial teacher training (ITT), which will enable you to meet the professional standards for QTS; a formal set of skills and qualities required to be an effective teacher.

How do I get QTS?

Mandarin Chinese teachers can gain QTS through 4 recognised routes:

  • Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE - Scotland) 
  • Graduate Training Programme (GTP)
  • Overseas Teacher Training Programme (OTTP)
  • Registered Teacher Programme

 What qualfications do I need beforehand?

  • a degree from either a UK or an overseas institution, or degree equivalence as defined by the course provider
  • a GCSE Grade C in Maths and English or their equivalent for secondary teaching and GCSE Grade C in Maths, English and a Science subject or their equivalent for primary teaching.

How do I choose what route best suits me?

View the simple to read flow diagram using the PDF link below

How can I find out more?

For more detailed information about each programme visit the related articles below.

For more information about the detailed professional standards of doing a QTS please visit


Attached Files: