Continued Professional Development

Find below all our posts to help you in your professional development. Please give us your feedback and thoughts by adding comments to the posts.

The Graduate Training Programme (GTP) for Chinese Teachers (UK)

 Who is this suited to?

UK: The Registered Teacher Programme (RTP)

Who is this for?

Non-graduates with some experience of higher education to complete their degree and qualify as a teacher at the same time. You will need to find a school willing to employ you.

What training will I get?

The school would need to work with a local higher education institution to ensure that you receive suitable training to extend your subject knowledge to degree level. The training programme leads to a degree-equivalent qualification as well as QTS.

How long will it take?

It usually lasts two years.

What about money?

Your school will pay you an unqualified or qualified teacher’s salary (starting from £15,461 depending on your responsibilities, experience and location). The TDA may also provide the school with a grant of up to £9,100 (for two years' full time) to cover the cost of your training.

UK: Overseas Teacher Training Programme (OTTP)

Who is this for?

  • Teachers that qualified overseas and outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
  • You need to have already found a teaching position in a school.

How long do I have to get my QTS on the OTTP?

You may be eligible to work in England as a temporary, unqualified teacher for up to four years while you achieve qualified teacher status (QTS). Currently, this programme is only available in England.  You MUST have your QTS within the 4 years otherwise you will no longer be allowed to teach. 

What training will I get?

The Overseas Trained Teacher Programme (OTTP) will provide you with an individual training and assessment programme. This will ultimately lead to your qualification to teach in England permanently.

How long will it take?

How to become a Qualified Chinese Teacher in the UK

What does qualified mean?

Qualified teacher status (QTS) is the accreditation that enables you to teach in state-maintained and special schools in England and Wales.

You will need to complete a period of initial teacher training (ITT), which will enable you to meet the professional standards for QTS; a formal set of skills and qualities required to be an effective teacher.

How do I get QTS?

Mandarin Chinese teachers can gain QTS through 4 recognised routes:

  • Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE - Scotland) 
  • Graduate Training Programme (GTP)
  • Overseas Teacher Training Programme (OTTP)
  • Registered Teacher Programme

 What qualfications do I need beforehand?